When we look at the most popular books at Suhayla Kids, the series "Hassan and Aneesa" always ranks high. Year after year, Alhamdulillah, the books fly off our shelves, heading off to families across the world where many mini Muslims fall in love with the stories. Our own mini Muslims love them too. Read ahead to see some of the many reasons we & so many families love them:
1. The price - at only £2.50 each (may vary internationally) and unchanged for the past 4 years, Alhamdulillah. These books are some of the most affordable, good quality Islamic books for Muslim children.
2. They're relatable. Our children see themselves in Hassan and Aneesa. A Muslim family similar to theirs, doing things that they also do as a family, e.g. Experience Ramadan, celebrate Eid, visiting the Masjid and going to the Madrassa.
3. These books help to create a positive self-identity for our children, who are proud to call themselves Muslims.
4. They're realistic. e.g. at the end of Eid day, the parents are visibly exhausted, while the kids are on a sugar high. Also, the mum doesn't wear hijab at home which is true to reality. And Aneesa wakes up to the noise of her parents at suhoor / sehri, which I'm sure has happened in your homes too.
5. Adorable illustrations. I especially love the parents' dishevelled hair at suhoor in the Ramadan one.
6. It's filled with Islamic teachings & practices without being preachy. It shows the family actively practising Islam, depicting faith as a way of life, which is inspiring for young hearts.
7. It's not too wordy at all, so young children are able to maintain their attention throughout the story.
8. This is somewhat quirky but my kids love spotting animals in picture books, they enjoy spotting the cat in these books.
9. Inspired by the Masjid book, we hosted Masjid tours & Storytime sessions at Nizamiye Masjid, in Johannesburg. We hope this series inspires many more.
10. Again on the Masjid book, it inspires in children a fascination with the house of Allah. Our mini Muslim used to get so excited to spot minarets while driving as Hassan and Aneesa do (calling it 'magnificent' as they do, MashaAllah).
Adapted from Suhayla Kids - www.suhaylakids.co.za - based in South Africa.
Hassan and Aneesa published by Kube Publishing are also available here, Amazon and most Islamic bookstores!
The full series includes:
9780860376989 - Hassan and Aneesa Celebrate Eid
9780860376422 - Hassan and Aneesa Love Ramadan
9780860375210 - Hassan and Aneesa Go to Masjid
9780860374596 - Hassan and Aneesa Go to Madrasa